What does a case manager do?
It’s not uncommon for college students to experience difficult times during their college career, either due to academic or personal reasons. Case management is designed to support students throughout their Missouri S&T student experience in order to best achieve their academic, personal and professional goals. Case management helps students face challenges by identifying immediate needs, providing appropriate resources, and partnering with the student to develop an action plan. Case management supports and empowers students to take action and advocate on their own behalf. This is a collaborative process that helps a student evaluate his/her options.
Some services offered include:
- Assistance navigating campus and community resources
- Referrals to campus and other resources
- Exploration of and referral for mental health or physical health concerns
- Coordination and follow up during and after hospitalization and/or medical leaves of absence
- Help managing complex medical needs
- Crisis management
- Problem solving
The case manager coordinates with other campus departments and offices to facilitate communication. The case manager can help students increase self-advocacy skills. Together the student and case manager can develop an action plan to more effectively access services.
Possible Reasons for Referrals
- Repeated absences
- Decline in academic performance, low grades
- Disruptive behavior or disturbing conduct
- Shift in mood
- Suspected use of drugs or alcohol in class
- Disorganized speech/non-sensical conversation
- Emotional/physical outbursts
- Changes in personal hygiene, appearance
- Communication (assignments, emails, online) that is concerning
- Unable to contact student
- Relationship issues
- Loss of family member or friend
- Mental health concerns
- Physical health concerns
How Do I Refer A Student?
Use the online report at ucare.mst.edu or firstname.lastname@example.org
Students may be referred to case management by faculty,staff, family, or other students. Students can also self-refer to case management. The goal is to prevent more serious difficulties and help the student attain success.
If you would like additional information or would like to consult about a student or situation, please email the case manager, Krista Morris-Lehman, at email@example.com or call 573-341-4211. Students can also self-refer using this method.
What Should I Expect After a Referral?
Case management will discretely gather information by reaching out to the student and determine which types of services might be best. This might include connecting the student to resources or engaging the student in ongoing case management services.
Is Case Management Confidential?
Information shared with the case manager does not fall under the same confidentiality levels of a health care provider or therapist/psychologist. Every effort is made to ensure privacy and information is shared on a need to know basis. The case manager can refer you to a confidential provider. Signed releases of information are often used.
Types of Assistance Offered
- Arrange for care
- Help manage complex medical or psychiatric needs
- Psychiatric/Medical Withdrawal
- Coordination of re-enrty
- UCARE Referrals/Coordination
- Strengthen support systems and self-advocacy skills
- Remove barriers to student success
- Provide support, monitoring, and follow up services
- Resource and consultation for faculty, staff, and students
- Manage academic, personal, and fiscal responsibilities
- Identify needs, resources, and support systems